White people simply don't like learning new languages

learning a lamguage isn't worth the effort today, pretty much everyone uses english anyway so why bother learning a third language.

I dont regret skipping the third language classes in school.

upyr

That is not particular to whites nor to languages. Most people do not like learning anything. Most people have no interesting in knowledge for its own sake. Their only driving force in life is seeking of hedonistic pleasure driven by raw emotions instead of rationality.

Leucosticte

That is not particular to whites nor to languages. Most people do not like learning anything. Most people have no interesting in knowledge for its own sake. Their only driving force in life is seeking of hedonistic pleasure driven by raw emotions instead of rationality.
I went to a school that forced Latin on everyone, perhaps because the parents felt guilty about not doing classical studies themselves. Who knows, maybe it finally gave them a reason to study Latin, so they could help their kids with it.

I went to a school that forced Latin on everyone, perhaps because the parents felt guilty about not doing classical studies themselves. Who knows, maybe it finally gave them a reason to study Latin, so they could help their kids with it.
Do you know any Latin? How long did you learn it? You're talking high school, right?

upyr

Interesting. Was it a Catholic school?

Leucosticte

Interesting. Was it a Catholic school?
It had some ties to the Catholic church (e.g. they had an optional class on Roman Catholicism), but was nominally non-sectarian.

I started there in 7th grade, and was failing Latin and some other courses pretty miserably, so they moved me back to 6th grade where we just had a Linguistics course that only devoted one eight-week quarter to Latin, and the others to Spanish, German, etc.

So yeah, my knowledge of Latin isn't very extensive, and back then I didn't see a use for it; but since like a lot of people I went kinda white nationalist in the late 2010s, now I have a new appreciation for the classical world.

upyr

I started there in 7th grade, and was failing Latin and some other courses pretty miserably, so they moved me back to 6th grade where we just had a Linguistics course that only devoted one eight-week quarter to Latin, and the others to Spanish, German, etc.
Do you think it would have been better if they spent all the time to go deeper with a single language? Apart from English, what language is the most relevant to learn?

Leucosticte

Do you think it would have been better if they spent all the time to go deeper with a single language? Apart from English, what language is the most relevant to learn?
I'm not sure what their thinking was, behind just having us sample the different languages, other than that we used the same brand of textbooks for each of them, so I suppose one could compare one textbook to another and see pretty easily how the languages were similar and how they were different. They were trying to teach how the languages were interrelated and how the families of languages worked. We had a chance to look into some obscure languages like Gaelic too.

That school was really big on glorifying the British, so they taught French from pre-kindergarten, taught English two periods a day from K-12, and then Latin from 7th grade on. So those were all the languages spoken in the UK, from the days of the Romans, to the Norman Conquest, etc.

I thought the science and tech curriculum there was a bit weak, but that was probably because the school was poor and couldn't afford any equipment (there had been a schism that resulted in half the school splitting off to form a separate school; and that half was in control of most of the assets like computers and books and whatnot, so they basically stripped the place bare when they left; it was like an ugly divorce).

I think they also had a philosophy that the first priority is getting a country's culture right, and getting people to recognize their place in it; and then stuff like technological achievement will come naturally after that.