Tories projected to win a comfortable majority

adolf512

Staff member
Here’s the exact seat numbers from the exit poll, which predicts a huge Conservative win. 326 seats are needed for an outright majority in Parliament, which has 650 seats.

Conservatives: 368 (+50 on the 2017 election)

Labour: 191 (-71)

SNP: 55 (+20)

Liberal Democrats: 13 (+1)

Plaid Cmyru: 3 (-1)

https://edition.cnn.com/uk/live-news/uk-election-day-2019-dle-ge19-gbr-intl/index.html

Brexit is now expected januari 31:th 2020.

Leucosticte

What's the significance? The UK has already opted out of most aspects of the EU (the Euro, the Schengen Area, etc.)

Anyway, they'll probably rejoin the EU at some point.

Leucosticte

So does the UK fall apart now? Do Scotland and Northern Ireland go their separate ways, so they can be part of the EU?

My guess is, probably not, since they probably want to continue getting subsidies.

Leucosticte

The Scottish have their own parliament, so what happens if they unilaterally vote to secede?

We all know what happens if the Northern Irish decide they wanna secede...

Leucosticte

no Democrat is gonna win big unless they stop with the pro-immigration rhetoric

That is the lesson from the UK I guess.
Yeah, but I don't know that UK politics are the same as US politics. Democrats already control the U.S. House, so in that sense they've already won big even with the pro-immigration rhetoric. But, because the U.S. Senate is gerrymandered in favor of Republicans, Democrats haven't yet been able to gain full control over the government. That could just be a matter of time though; they just need to flip a few more states Democratic. Texas already could probably flip Democratic if the Latino population could be mobilized to vote like they do in California.