Video Game Addiction

Bee

Unfortunately, I spent the better part of my youth in front of a PC playing video games. Most of the blame falls on me, but I did have shitty parents on top of my addiction. My father was a gambler that often fought with my mother. But, I've met people who were in a much shittier life situation, and they still managed to become a successful average normal person with a job, life, and wife/gf. When I think about this the only reason I can come up for my own failure is that I found the black hole known as video games. Video games drew all my attention into the void. The amount of effort that I've expended on video games would have made me, at the very least, a low tier normie and at the very best a mid tier normie with a decent life. I don't even enjoy video games anymore now that I've become a jaded, envious, bitter, and sad man. It doesn't do it for me anymore. The illusion can't hold together well enough for me because in my brain there is always a nagging thought that belittles me every time I play video games.

I hope you are not in the same situation as me.

Admin

Administrator
Videogames will eventually feel meaningless because they are meaningless, they never actually lead to much if anything of value, it's just a temporary dopamine spike while the rest of your life falls apart.

I enjoyed playing metroid prime 1 and 2 as adult, i also enjoyed firewatch. But with most games i just stop playing becuase it feels pointless, not actually challanging you properly and not really immersive either.

I was thinking about giving rom-hacks a shot but that didn't really happen, only played a few and dropped these quickly.

Bee

But with most games i just stop playing because it feels pointless, not actually challanging you properly and not really immersive either.
Competitive multiplayer games like Dota 2, League of legends, Warcraft 3, etc. have managed to remain relevant year after year because they can offer a challenging experience for the players due to the fact that you can compete with actual humans. I've spent thousands of hours playing those games. It's absolutely disheartening to know how much of a loser I am. But, I agree you'll eventually be utterly burned out by those games.

Admin

Administrator
Competitive multiplayer games like Dota 2, League of legends, Warcraft 3, etc. have managed to remain relevant year after year because they can offer a challenging experience for the players due to the fact that you can compete with actual humans.
This also give a false sense of accomplishment since you do not actually have any real prospect of becoming a professional gamer. It's kinda like MLM scams where the few who make it are held up are inspirational heroes so others will think "i can also do that" and then they fail.

Bee

This also give a false sense of accomplishment since you do not actually have any real prospect of becoming a professional gamer.
That's very true. You may cringe at me for saying this, but I've seriously considered becoming a pro gamer before in the past. I was grinding the ranked matchmaking like a drug addict in the hopes of pursuing a professional gaming career, but it didn't pan out.

Admin

Administrator
I was able to make some money from real-money online poker (i eventually become winning at low stakes too, it wasn't just freerolls) but considering all the time i spent on it it's unclear if it really was a good usage of my time.

These things are very competetive since the prospect of making money from skills alone is very appealing and much more competetive than say being a doctor where you can rely on credentials.

Bee

I was able to make some money from real-money online poker (i eventually become winning at low stakes too, it wasn't just freerolls) but considering all the time i spent on it it's unclear if it really was a good usage of my time.
Well, at least you made some money. I, on the other hand, lost money due to my many purchases of in-game cosmetics.

Bee

being a doctor where you can rely on credentials.
I wish I had a respectable career to be honest. I can only imagine being someone who is respected. The only job that I've ever worked in all my life was a dishwasher job for a restaurant when I was 22 years old. That job was unbearable and I left after 8 months or so.

Claire_Lovely

I wish I had a respectable career to be honest. I can only imagine being someone who is respected. The only job that I've ever worked in all my life was a dishwasher job for a restaurant when I was 22 years old. That job was unbearable and I left after 8 months or so.
Once you quit gaming and focus on learning for a career it is definitely possible. I feel that competitive gaming is the worst form of gaming and after I quit, I gained many opportunities.

I wrote about my story here:
https://claire-lovely.medium.com/why-i-quit-competitive-gaming-my-story-68b707e301c7

dsar9012

That's true, I struggle woth gaming addiction, I should try to get a job but normies always discriminate against me. Atleast gaming is a cheap hobby to pass the time, when you're an incel having a high paying career is pointless anyway.

dsar9012

My main problem with gaming is I guess I get a sense of acomplishment from gaming that I lack in the real world, I don't know why i feel accomplished at gaming, I don't even have a high achievement score, i just play a tons of games and try to finish them, but I'm done wasting my mothers credit catd on stupid gaming purchases.

dsar9012

To be fair it's not just gaming addiction, because I can sit around watching dumb youtube videos all day and not even game, I'm just lazy, really lazy so not sure how to fix that.

Claire_Lovely

That's true, I struggle woth gaming addiction, I should try to get a job but normies always discriminate against me. Atleast gaming is a cheap hobby to pass the time, when you're an incel having a high paying career is pointless anyway.
Having a job is still a lot better because the toxicity in games is often way higher, and the longer spent on gaming the more difficult it becomes to socialize. There are many lifestyle benefits to more income and the ability to change appearance to, or to save to transmaxx.

dsar9012

Having a job is still a lot better because the toxicity in games is often way higher, and the longer spent on gaming the more difficult it becomes to socialize. There are many lifestyle benefits to more income and the ability to change appearance to, or to save to transmaxx.
I am not a tranny.